Types of Exterior Products: Hardie Plank
I’ve been driving around viewing multiple homes and condos for my clients recently and I’ve noticed lots of the new rain-screening projects have been using Hardie Plank for their new exterior envelopes. You can buy it to look like cedar, modern pre-finished panels.
James Hardie siding (Fiber Cement siding) has become one of the most popular brands of siding in Canada, as the brand is very high quality and highly durable with an excellent aesthetic appeal. Within the Hardie brand of siding products, there are a number of different types of siding available. They include:
HardiePlank Lap Siding
HardiePanel Vertical Siding
PROS OF USING HARDIE PLANK IN BRITISH COLUMBIA.
James Hardie Siding products are designed specifically to work well in the British Columbia climate. They are engineered specifically for the type of weather and seasonal effects that BC homes must endure, and they perform well! They are built to resist snow and ice, powerful UV rays and heavy winds. Another big plus includes the high levels in the wind-driven rain we get in Vancouver.
- Longevity: Most Hardie board siding comes with a 50-year, limited transferable warranty. This siding is completely rot and insect resistant and can even handle salt spray from the ocean.
- Appearance: Hardie board siding can be made to mimic just about any other siding material, including wood lap boards, cedar shingles, and wood shake siding. Color options are virtually unlimited. These colors are accompanied by a 15-year warranty on the finish.
- Fire Resistance: Hardie board siding is 90 percent sand and cement which makes it fire-resistant.
- Storm Resistance: Whether you’re looking for a siding material that can withstand the next Katrina, or one that can fend off the next summer hailstorm without sustaining damage, cement board siding is a proven commodity in the weather department.
CONS OF USING HARDIE PLANK IN BRITISH COLUMBIA.
- High Installation and Labor Costs: Hardie board siding requires more planning, a larger labor force, and takes longer to install due to its composition. It weighs about 300 pounds (100 square feet) compared to 60-70 pounds for vinyl siding. This can increase labor and the cost of cement installation.
- Maintenance: It has to be repainted periodically. Hardie board have a ColourPlus Technology Warranty which covers paint and labor for peeling and chipping of their finishes for only 15 years.
Contact me for more information about building construction and what you need to look for to buy into a solid building: [email protected] or 604-441-7149.